Wednesday, February 01, 2012
Disney Princess
I think Disney Princess is an incredible brand and marketing campaign. In fact, I think it's a monster.
Yep, I have two young daughters. They will turn four and two over the next couple of months. We can't go anywhere without seeing this brand. This brand doesn't reside in the hearts and minds of consumers and my daughters; this brand resides everywhere on every product in practically every retail store. Bed sheets, soap, cereal, dresses, and toys are just a few of these products. Disney Princess has 26,000 different items for sale, and believe me these items are found everywhere. While many of the princess characters have been around awhile, this campaign only started in 2000.
Newsweek has reported the Disney Princess brand to be a four billion dollar business. I guess that is pretty good considering Mickey Mouse is a six billion dollar brand. And these numbers are from before Tangled was released.
Some report Disney is going away from princess themed movies. Part of me thinks this isn't true; I think it's the part of me that knows Tangled grossed $590 million at the box office. Of course that number doesn't include the Rapunzel dresses I will still be buying in the future.
Have I mentioned Disney Fairies? This campaign started in 2005. Apparently Disney was paying attention to how much little girls adored the Disney Princess brand and rolled this juggernaut out. No, I don't think the princess themed movies are going anywhere.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


+edited.jpg)

4 comments:
I totally know what you're talking about. My daughter dresses up as a princess almost every day, and calls her little brother her prince (even though he refuses to dress up as anything). We've got almost all the Disney princess movies, two sets of princess dress up clothes (in case a friend comes over), a few sets of princess crowns - she's all over it. I was thinking just the other day that she just might end up having a princess theme wedding at this rate. I think it's time to put the foot down...
I think the brand is so successful because their is already a known story behind each one of the Disney's princesses. I guess that compel the imagination of the little girls to run amok in their fantasy world. Another competing character is Barbie - but there is no story. Barbie will be limited to the dolls at the hands of little girls.
My nieces love Disney princesses. However, I am getting a son, so I won't have to worry about them corrupting a daughter's mind quite yet... I must say, Enchanted is one of my favorite movies... Did I actually type that??... because it spoofs every Disney princess movie ever made. And now fairies! What are we to do, those of us who have daughters and nieces? Hopefully, Disney remains pure with its fairies and princesses so that they remain as good influences on our children.
After reading that I'm a slightly grateful that I ended up with 2 boys. But, if you're not dealing with Disney princess I think there are plenty of brands out there that have corrupted my two little boys. Super Hero Squad (basically all Marvel characters), Star Wars, and Toy Story. I even have to buy clothes for my boys to dress up in so they can look and pretend to be their favorite super hero. I agree with Andy though, that these brands are so powerful because of the story behind them and the imagination they can spark in these kids minds. I'm glad though that for the most part these brands, characters, and companies still promote fairly good values and ideas. Hopefully, that won't change too much because I don't think my kids would ever talk to me again if they couldn't watch Star Wars.
Post a Comment