Join with me in celebrating Valentine's Month instead of Valentine's Day! Wouldn't we be happier if we could spread this holiday out over an entire month? I don't mean celebrate more; I mean celebrate on the day you pick to be most convenient. Think of the possibilities:
- Everyone could easily get a dinner reservation for the night they pick.
- And a babysitter too!
- We could avoid paying unreasonable amounts of money for flowers. Ladies, have you been to flower store on Valentines? You have to try this; it is hilarious! Pure madness.
- No Valentine's traffic; see previous bullets about dinner reservations and flowers.
- Ideation. "I got blah, blah, blah for my wife/girlfriend/partner" . . . then three days later, "so did I!"
Luckily for me, my wife and I decided a long time ago that the calendar would not rule our lives. While we celebrated on the 14th for Valentines this year, we aren't afraid to adjust to what makes sense for us. For example, we celebrated Christmas this year on December 26th just because it was more convenient for us. Our kids never knew the difference. Well, they knew until we talked them out of it.
Finally, I have always wanted to visit a flower shop the day after Valentines to see what type of deals it has. Today was my day. I was the only one there (you should have seen it yesterday).
And . . . no deals on flowers. You could still buy a single rose for $15.00. My guess is the Flower Patch didn't sell a lot of flowers today. Why wouldn't it want to clear out its inventory? Those flowers are going to be dead by Saturday no matter how much it payed for them.

1 comment:
I am all over this idea - my wife and I celebrated last Saturday. And then just for good measure I got her some chocolate covered strawberries - on February 13th. I hate having to deal with the madness at flower shops the day of Valentine's. And besides, she may be expecting something on Valentine's, but the day before - that's when it's still a surprise.
Post a Comment